Thursday, September 20, 2012

Once Upon A Hot Day

. . . There was a girl that decided to sew an 1850s day dress . . . Wait that's not what you do when its brutally hot?!
It was super hot this weekend, almost 100 at the coast, even hotter inland. And we're just not used to that kind of heat, so it really kicked the stuffing out the whole weekend. So instead of attending a picnic with friends we sat at home with all the fans pointing directly at us (no air conditioning) and tried to move as little as possible, and as a result a dress was started. I know that doesn't sound much like no movement  but that's about as close as I get ;)

It's going to be one of my new dresses for SF dickens fair this year. Half the reason I am making this dress is for its sleeves: 
Giant, poofy, and smocked what more could you ask for! I love the big sleeves of the 50s and 60s and the smocking is only because I just discovered our vintage singer has a special foot just for it!!

It made the whole process a piece of cake :) so far the rest of the dress is turning out pretty basic but I like the skirt decoration from the fashion plate below:

2 comments:

  1. Yikes, you crazy girl! :) how neat that you have a special smocking foot for your vintage machine - I need some special feet. I love the trim on that last skirt, I think you should do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael has been finding all sorts of great attachments and fancy little "do dads" for the machine, most of which I am still trying to figure out ;) ever time I show up to a new foot or something I tease him and call it another episode of pimp my sewing machine! :)

      Delete