Monday, February 11, 2013

HSF Challenge #3


The Challenge: Every great historical outfit starts with the right undergarments, and, just in time for Valentines day, here's you're excuse to make them. Chemises, corsets, corded petticoats, drawers, garters, stockings…if it goes under your garments, it qualifies.

I went super easy on this challenge and am using the quilted petticoat I made last month to go with the 1840s dress. http://cursewordsandcrinolines.blogspot.com/2013/01/my-1840s-dress.html?m=1
Fabric: Light blue poly cotton pre quilted fabric with a poly batting and back lining.

Pattern: I was told how to make a petticoat this way by my aunties, and examined a few of their own garments for visual comprehension. I made this petticoat based on what was in my head but then a few days later came across this blog that has lovey step by step directions with very helpful pictures for doing exactly what I did :)
http://fashionablefrolick.blogspot.com/2011/04/threaded-bliss-tutorial.html?m=1
Year: okay this is where it gets a little tricky . . . The pattern is mid 18th century, but it was made for and worn with my 1840s dress, yet I also measured and made it wide enough that if needed I could wear it over my 1860s hoop. All that being said I still left it short enough that if need be I could wear it with an 18th century dress. 

Notions: blue bias tape.
How accurate: well based on the above info about the year, I'd say the only thing accurate about the whole garment is the pattern, everything after that is not from the material used to the machine sewing to put it together and the wide range of eras it can be worn for. So it gets a gentle 2 out of 10 from me.

Hours to complete: 1, yes that is correct 1 hour only. It's very simple and with the machine sewing it was very quick.

First worn: I wore this first on January 13th, for the pre civil war event at the Campo de Cahuenga 
http://cursewordsandcrinolines.blogspot.com/2013/01/campo-de-cahuenga.html?m=1
Now I know all you non California's think us to be cold weather wimps, and for my part you would correct, it never got above 55 that day and I would have froze with out that wonderful quilted layer, it really made a difference in helping to keep me warm!

Total cost: the fabric was about $5 a yard and I used about 2 1/2 yards and the bias tape came from the stash so, $12 or $13, somewhere around there.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment