Thursday, March 14, 2013

HSF Challenge # 5

Challenge #5: "As wonderful as making pretty, pretty princess dresses is, the vast majority of people have always been poor commoners, whether they were peasants working the land, servants in big houses, or (later), pioneers carving their own space in new lands. This fortnight let's make something that celebrates the common man."
For this challenge I chose to make an 18th century mob cap because regardless of class every 18th century girl needs one :)
Fabric: very fine cream linen, from the stash.

Pattern: no pattern, I just made it up as I went based on pictures and extant pieces. This was actually not a good thing as I really don't like the look of my cap, and I think a real pattern would help me like the cap better. Next time I make a cap I want to try the JP Ryan pattern
http://www.jpryan.com/caps.htm

Year: 18th century

Notion: just thread.

Historical Accuracy: I'm going to go wild and give this a 9 out of 10 and that's because of the fact that I completely hand sewed the whole cap and the materials are accurate for the period. So even though I don't like the look of the cap, the materials and construction are accurate for the period.
Hours to complete: 6 from cutting out to the last little stitch.

First worn: not yet, might not ever get worn if I really hate it enough and end up making a better one with a real pattern ;)

Total cost: $0, all from the stash!



6 comments:

  1. It looks cute, but that's a bummer about not liking it. At least it didn't cost anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly, ever project is a learning process thats half the fun of it for me :)

      Delete
  2. Looks nicer than my first go, definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, it looks cute; I'm sorry you don't like it. Maybe you can repurpose it for another period? It looks a little bit like an earlier-century coif. Either way, it's definitely not wasted effort. Practicing your handsewing is always worth it!

    Other cap pattern options are the Kannik's Korner pattern, and several options from Country Wives.
    http://www.spencersmercantile.com/Sewing%20patterns/Regency.html
    (Scroll down to Accessories.)

    I've used the KK pattern and it's very pretty. But even better, its instructions are all for period, by-hand assembly. It was on my cap that I really learned how to do a rolled hem, plus whipped gathers. Fantastic learning experience! I want to get one or more of the CW patterns, though, too; they have some of the different, bigger fancy shapes. Something I don't want to have to draft myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the other patterns! I will absolutly be using one for the next attempt :)

      And I am familiar with kk patterns, I used their drop front breeches pattern for The Misters regency uniform last year, they are great patterns full of more then just general construction info.

      Delete