Last year I was very happy with the foundation I created for my Dickens Fair dresses. I had my chemise and bloomers, corset and hoop and a ruffled petticoat and an eyelet lace petticoat.
The ruffled petticoat was very good for eliminating the lampshade effect that can happen with hoops and gave the skirts a nice belled shape. But the ruffled petticoat had been a last minute slap shod creation that barely survived the run of dickens fair so for this year I made a new one.
I used the Truly Victorian pattern for the flounced skirt. I made all four flounces and used a very light weight (shhh, poly cotton blend) fabric, to reduce weight and unnecessary bulk. The pattern is very simple, but the construction was time consuming! All that yardage that I had to finish the edge of and then gather and then put on the foundation! It was a lot for me but then again I have never really had the patience for ruffles.
But don't get me wrong it was totally worth it! The skirt looks great, it's ten times better then the original I made and is exactly what I had in my head when I was considering a ruffled petticoat :)