Thursday, November 8, 2012

Ruffled Petticoat

Last year I was very happy with the foundation I created for my Dickens Fair dresses. I had my chemise and bloomers, corset and hoop and a ruffled petticoat and an eyelet lace petticoat. 

The ruffled petticoat was very good for eliminating the lampshade effect that can happen with hoops and gave the skirts a nice belled shape. But the ruffled petticoat had been a last minute slap shod creation that barely survived the run of dickens fair so for this year I made a new one.

I used the Truly Victorian pattern for the  flounced skirt. I made all four flounces and used a very light weight (shhh, poly cotton blend) fabric, to reduce weight and unnecessary bulk. The pattern is very simple, but the construction was time consuming! All that yardage that I had to finish the edge of and then gather and then put on the foundation! It was a lot for me but then again I have never really had the patience for ruffles. 

But don't get me wrong it was totally worth it! The skirt looks great, it's ten times better then the original I made and is exactly what I had in my head when I was considering a ruffled petticoat :)

5 comments:

  1. Excellent idea for a tiered petticoat. I know someone else who could use this idea too. :)
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pattern did you use for your corset?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the simplicity pattern number 9769, the chemise is also from the same pattern. I was very happy with both :)

      Delete
  3. Hey Cait! I didn't even know you had a blog-- it's so good to be able to keep up with your adventures again. I love so many of the things you've made this year, especially that silver dress. Keep up the lovely posts, they're such an inspiration!

    Heather from SDCG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heather!!! So glad you like the silver dress, it was a total experiment.
      And so glad you like the blog!! that's what it's here for, keeping up with my crazy life :)

      Delete