Friday, May 25, 2012

18th Century embroidered pockets

You'd think I was bored or something, or didn't have anything to do all day. Which is so not the case as i actually work long hours every day and sew every evening not to mention other events on the weekends.

And yet here I am deciding it's a good idea to embroider my 18th century pockets just like they would have done.






I realize that they will likely not get done in the next 5 weeks for the pirate fair but there's no harm in trying, and I do spend quite a bit of time sitting on the train each week. And if I don't get them finished it is a very period thing to sit around and work on during the fair :)

And let's not even mention the fact that I am planning in wearing pocket hoops under my dress and won't even need to wear separate pockets ;)

I have a huge book of embroidery designs from my grand mother who used them for quilting designs, and there was a whole section that just looked perfect for this. I pieced a few designs together to get each pocket front and chose to have each side a little different then the other for variety.






I got started last Friday on the train and was able to get one little flower done. It's a little rough but embroidery is new to me and I know I will get better the more I work on it. Practice makes perfect, or atleast a finished pocket ;)




2 comments:

  1. You're so good about getting everything done!! Do you have pocket hoops yet? I took JP Ryan's class last year at CoCo and made some. You can borrow them if you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny, practically reading my mind, I had just started in othey pocket hoops this evening! I purchased the JP Ryan pattern for them when I ordered my dress pattern from them. I went with their pocket hoops after reading about it and the CoCo class on your blog :)
    Thank you for the very generous offer though!!!!

    ReplyDelete