Thursday, May 17, 2012

18th century stays

The next big project looks like it will be a 1770s polonaise for the pirate fair up north in Vallejo.


The event is still about a month out so I'm not in any sort of rush mode which is why I think I have started looking at making a real set of 18th century stays to go with this dress rather then wear the old 16th century stays I had intended to use. 


After reading this review from The American Duchess I realized I have the same pattern in my stash. So the possibility grows . . . 

http://americanduchess.blogspot.com/2009/05/butterick-18th-c-stays-in-progress.html?m=1



Then I came across this nice post using this Simplicity pattern: 

http://patternedhistory.blogspot.com/2011/06/cinch-it-making-18th-century-stays.html?m=1



Which I have also in my stash ( I guess I have more patterns then I think I do). I like this review as she makes almost no design modifications but a few construction ones, which I don't have to do. 

So next step I think is to lay out both patterns side by side and figure out which one I am going to use.

I also need to choose my fabric, I'm thinking about trying to make them reversible with a nice plain white on one side and a bright solid color on the other. I have seen lots of extant examples for red stays. 



No comments:

Post a Comment