and the new bustle cage
there are some alterations and additions that need to happen before I wear the dress over these new items.
One addition is a new plain petticoat to wear over my ruffled petticoat to help hide the bumps caused by the ruffles. And as I am short on time I needed a quick and dirty solution. So I returned to my favorite fabric staple - sheets!
Well one sheet to be exact, one queen size white cotton sheet is enough yardage to make the Truly Victorian pattern # 202. Sheets, like curtains are great because you can get yardage of a fabric at a much cheaper rate then buying the actual fabric. In the case of this project the sheet set was $15 (I found them at Marshals) and the top sheet alone was enough yardage for the skirt ( about 4 yards) so in reality I got about 8 yards of cotton counting the top and fitted sheet for $15 which is much cheaper than i could have bought plain cotton for at the fabric store.
And then in just under two hours I had the whole thing cut out and sewn together :)
Here are all my layers for this dress including the new petticoat:
The bustle cage
The ruffled petticoat
The new quickie petticoat (yes that is made out of a sheet)
The over skirt
And the apron